Plasmids are find in bacterial cells and are a ring of DNA and are particularly small carrying little DNA.
Viruses have a protein shell called a capsid and inside there would be a Nucleic acid (of which contains either DNA or RNA).
- The restriction enzyme would be selected to cut the DNA, leaving us with the gene of insulin separately.
- Having cut the gene, the plasmid will also be cut with the same restriction enzyme.
- This leaves the plasmid ring structure broken, the human insulin gene is then inserted into the plasmid.
- This will leave our plasmid with the human gene inserted and is then necessary to apply ligase enzyme which will join the DNA.
- This combination of the human gene, and the plasmid is known as recombinant DNA.